Sunday, November 30, 2008

A Mental Function: Learning

It is difficult to count what I have learned throughout the semester; I personally, and very strongly, believe that progress in classes of English can not be measured quantitatively. However, we still get graded. Funny, that!

I learned how crucial punctuation is. I have always been a fan of punctuation (excuse the weirdness) and it fascinated me even more to learn how to manipulate our readers' reading and understanding through little dots and dashes.

Activation of tenses is a powerful tool as well. Just kidding! I always thought that passive voice somehow had a nicer feel to it. But I went online and read essays after essays till my eyes watered, and realized that active voice hits the reader forcefully and conveys the feel of the content better. Consistency in tense is also important.

Since we started making sentences, the verb has been an integral component of its structure. Miss Shah told me phrases, called fragments, are allowed if used correctly. Like this one!

And that one should stay within the limit - the word limit.

Oh, most importantly, we should never forget to proofread our writing. I had to delete the original post and fix one of the errors. My bad! And lesson learned.

No comments: